Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HMSNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Plans to replace Quay fence could still go ahead
7:30am Monday 20th January 2014 in News
PLANS to replace a controversial fence at Mistley Quay could still go ahead after an appeal was launched.
Planning officers at Tendring Council refused plans to replace the existing 6ft wire mesh fence with a red wrought iron one in June last year.
But now owners TW Logistics have launched the appeal to overturn the officer’s decision.
They paid to source the handforged metal from an architectural specialist, but critics said it was still too tall and would be like “living in a prison”.
The plans were turned down after officers deemed the proposed fence was “inappropriate”.
Tendring Council planning boss Carlo Guglielmi said: “They [TWL] had advice given to them two or three years ago over what railings would be appropriate in the conservation area. They completely disregarded the advice and purchased the railings."