Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HMSNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
MP ‘confused’ over what evidence Harwich maternity decision was based upon
6:00pm Wednesday 11th June 2014 in News
HEALTH bosses are being urged to make a u-turn over baby unit cuts ahead of a crunch meeting about the service’s future.
Maternity wards at Clacton and Harwich hospitals were closed for births in a shock move earlier this year.
A key board meeting on June 12 could see a decision on the units’ immediate futures.
MP Bernard Jenkin has written to Colchester Hospital Trust but says he is still confused over whether board members had sufficient evidence to make the decision.
“I have already written to one letter to CHUFT and I am still confused with what the board was actually told about the staff ratios on which the decision was based,” he said.
A spokesman for CHUFT said: “The decision was taken on March 17 after the board took clinical advice. When the board meets next week on June 12 it will revisit this decision.”