Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HMSNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Couple left without phone for nearly a month
3:00pm Monday 11th February 2013 in Harwich and Manningtree News
A RETIRED couple are at their wits’ end after being left without a BT landline and only intermittent internet connection for over three weeks.
Jack and Phyllis Phillips have had to rely on a mobile phone to contact their friends and relatives who live as far away as Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Mr Phillips, who lives at The Square, Dedham, said: “It has been going on since Sunday January 13. We have a mobile, but the signal here is appalling.
“BT came on January 14, and isolated a fault on the line between Duchy House and the Old Grammar School. They dug up a hole and filled it twice.”
The 80-year-old grandfather said that in addtion to his text messages to BT, friends and family had been contacting the firm in a bid to get the problem solved.
A BT spokesman said: “Clearly, we would like to apologise for the extended nature of this repair.
“Contractors are preparing the area for engineers to, hopefully, be able to finish the work/"