HARWICH and Dovercourt Rugby Club ran out 57-0 winners when they welcomed Pegasus Palmerians to Low Road for an Essex League One Shield game.

With the hosts sitting third and their visitors fourth, it promised to be a tight, hard-fought game. From the kick-off, Harwich were keen to assert themselves and establish some dominance.

After the opening exchanges, they settled into their structure and made good headway into their opponents' 22-metre area, where consistent stand-off Sean Mills (junior) accelerated through a gap to score the first try of the game.

Damien Smith stepped up to slot over the simple conversion.

Unlike in the past, Harwich continued to play quick running rugby, moving the ball wide to their left, giving livewire Kyle Hutchins the ball in little space.

Using pace with good footwork, the full-back tiptoed down the sideline and over the the try-line for the next score.

Smith improved the try for another seven-pointer, to open a 14-0 lead.

Into the swing of things, Harwich made their play look easy and they swept down field once more, giving second-row forward Kyran Green the opportunity to break through the defensive line and gallop over the try-line.

Smith banged over the conversion for 21-0.

The spectators were then treated to the best try of the game as Harwich launched an attack from deep in their own half.

The ball passed through several pairs of hands, with offloads and great support runs, before excellent flanker George Brunning finished it off by placing the ball down over the try-line. Smith kicked the conversion for 28-0.

It was not long before the hosts were again in a good attacking position, giving Hutchins the opportunity to get a brace of tries.

Smith, with mud in his eye, just missed the difficult conversion.

The half ended with number eight Simon Palmer scoring one of his trademark tries by smashing his way through the defence and over the line.

Smith resumed normal service, kicking the two points.

The home side continued to dominate, but were unable to reach the level of play they had produced in the first half, which had been arguably their best 40 minutes this season.

Eventually, following good support play, Green made his way over the try-line for his second try. Smith made the conversion for 47-0.

The only blip in the game was the yellow card for hard-working winger Sam Jewell, who tackled his winger high with ten minutes to go, which ended his participation in the game.

There was still time for wing forward Smith to score his first try for the first team, though he missed the conversion, and for Sean Mills to wrap up the scoring with his second of the game. Smith, following his exertions, missed the final conversion, leaving the score at the final whistle 57-0.

Next week Harwich host Kings Cross Steelers.