FC CLACTON and WIVENHOE TOWN both suffered defeats – a blow to their respective chances of avoiding relegation in the Thurlow Nunn League.

The Seasiders, second from bottom in the premier division, went down 4-2 at home to Gorleston while Mo Osman’s Dragons – now third from bottom – lost 3-1 at Felixstowe and Walton United.

Clacton made the worst possible start and were behind within the first few seconds.

Indecision in defence meant keeper Paddi Hawkins had no choice but to come out and head clear from inside the D.

However, his effort went straight to a visiting player and they eventually slotted into an unguarded net.

Gorleston scored again soon after, this time with an unstoppable effort that flashed in via the underside of the bar.

Clacton pulled one back early in the second half, thanks to a close-range effort from Adam Daniels.

But Gorleston added a third after the break, followed by a late fourth.

Daniels then scored an even later goal, again from close range, to complete the scoring.

Over at Felixstowe, all the goals came in the second half as Felixstowe saw off Wivenhoe.

Two of the hosts’ goals came from the penalty spot, while Matthew Eve was on target for the Dragons.

In other games of note, third-from-bottom Hadleigh United drew 2-2 at Fakenham Town but fellow strugglers Walsham-le-Willows pulled off a 4-2 win at Newmarket Town.

At the top of the table, fifth-placed STANWAY ROVERS had a day to forget, losing 3-0 at Ipswich Wanderers.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC had no game on Saturday and return to action on Tuesday night, at Thetford Town.

The Thurlow Nunn League programme had started with an eye-catching Essex derby between first division rivals HOLLAND FC and COGGESHALL TOWN, on Friday night.

And it was hosts Holland who snatched a late equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw.

Nnamdi Nwachuku was sent off after just 11 minutes for Coggeshall but they recovered to take the lead, through Jamie Shaw.

The former Stanway man pounced after hesitation in the Holland defence.

Both sides then missed chances and it looked like Coggeshall might be hold on for a precious victory that would take them back to the top of the table, albeit only until Saturday afternoon.

However, Holland had the last word when Joe Martin headed home a corner with five minutes left to snatch a point for Glenn Cowen and Rob Batten’s side.

Elsewhere in division one, HALSTEAD TOWN, buoyed by three straight wins, drew 1-1 at home to Diss Town.

Jordan Hutchings rescued a point with a spectacular late leveller for the Humbugs.

BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES lost 3-2 at Debenham LC.