Essex and Suffolk Border League premier division

TWO second-half Lewis Wood headers secured all three points in a vital fixture for Oakley, following last week's loss to second-placed Gas Recreation.

It was a win that continues their path to becoming premier division champions.

The Acorns welcomed back captain Jamie Dobkin, who they then lost early in the second half to injury, and handed a first start to new signing Harry Parkes.

Two early chances fell to Oakley.

First, a clearance by Gary Machin reached Parkes.

However, the new signing took the wrong option in trying to find fellow striker Jordan Heath, rather than shooting himself.

Oakley, pushing for their opening goal, saw Sam Eldridge head over from Woods' knockdown.

Then when Heath held the ball up, he crossed for Eldridge to head down but Mark Palmer struck his shot over the bar.

A flowing move from the home side ended with Wood making a good block to deny Lewis.

Alresford kept pressing and a quick throw found Johnson in space, but his effort from distance curled inches past Luke Tynan's far post.

Following a series of Oakley corners, Ben Hammond went close with an effort cleared off the line from his downward header.

At the other end, Alresford were again frustrated by Wood.

An early chance in the second half saw Alresford go close from Boxall's effort, which was well- blocked by Tynan.

Oakley only cleared the ball as far as the edge of the area and were guilty in giving the home side a second chance.

Oakley were forced to make an early change when Dobkin was unable to continue because of a hand injury, falling heavily on it earlier on.

Early mistakes by Oakley gave the home side hope, pressurising the visiting defence and being well-marshalled by Wood and Hammond.

Just after the hour, a chance came from a deep cross from Eldridge.

It led to a free header for Heath which somehow went well wide when it looked easier to score.

Tynan was alert to a deep cross, pushing Boxall's effort around the post.

Substitute Sean Mathurin saw efforts blocked by Machin and then Spencer saved his second effort.

The deadlock had to be broken and with 15 minutes left, a deep free-kick by Shaun Kioussis saw Wood rise well to power his header past Spencer.

The home side pushed on and a great header by Martin went close, followed by a good save by Tynan.

The game became very open as Heath went close twice, on the second occasion being denied by Spencer.

But with time running out, Oakley put the game out of the reach when good work from Heath led to a foul by Martin.

From the free-kick, Wood again rose to power home his second headed goal to secure the points and a man-of-the-match performance.

Oakley ran down five minutes of injury time to the cheers of the following away supporters with two home games next.

Tomorrow sees the first team at home to Holland Reserves (kick-off 3pm).

The reserves and A team have no game.