COLCHESTER United were not at the races against Crewe Alexandra, in the first half.

The visitors, with the worst away record in League Two, might easily have been three goals up within the opening 36 minutes but took only one of their opportunities.

Colchester were fortunate to go in at half-time on level terms and U’s head coach John McGreal afterwards complimented Alex’s first-half display.

But the U’s second-half performance was much improved, with forward duo Mikael Mandron and Brandon Hanlan provided with better service.

What resulted was a fine U’s comeback, one that encouragingly shows that they have the character to respond to setbacks.


COLCHESTER United past and present was represented on the pitch against Crewe Alexandra – with contrasting fortunes.

Former U’s striker and captain Chris Porter returned to the Weston Homes Community Stadium for the first time since rejecting the offer of a new contract last summer and joining Alex.

And at the other end of the pitch Mikael Mandron, who was effectively signed as Porter’s replacement, lined up for Colchester.

Porter was afforded a good reception by U’s fans, after returning to the club he served well for two-and-a-half years.

But Mandron’s afternoon was by far the most profitable, after he scored twice to help Colchester come from behind to claim a 3-1 win.


IT’S a good job that there is genuine competition for places in Colchester United’s midfield, given the setbacks they have received in that area of the pitch so far this season.

Tom Lapslie (suspended) and Sean Murray (knee injury) were the latest U’s midfielders to miss out on the action, this weekend.

But the pairing that did play – Doug Loft and Brandon Comley – both produced impressive performances and Craig Slater made a positive impression as a late second-half substitute.

Murray being ruled out for up to six weeks after knee surgery is a blow for Colchester, the latest in a long line of injury setbacks.

But it is up to others to step up to the plate in his absence and that is exactly what happened yesterday.


THE three goals Colchester United scored against Crewe Alexandra means that they are among the most prolific in League Two for home goals.

The U’s have netted 16 goals so far at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this season – only promotion candidates Luton Town, Wycombe Wanderers and Notts County have scored more on home soil.

Indeed, Colchester have found the net 59 times in 31 league games at the Community Stadium since August, 2016.

More significantly, Colchester lie 13th in the table and five points off the play-off places, with a third of the season gone.

They are also currently top of the League Two form table with 13 points from their last five games, ahead of a break in league action next weekend.


POOR fourth official Ian Cooper’s ears must have been ringing after Colchester United’s win over Crewe Alexandra.

Alex boss David Artell was constantly making his feelings known throughout the U’s 3-1 victory, frequently unhappy with the decisions made by referee Kevin Johnson.

One suspects Mr Cooper bore the brunt of Artell’s frustration in the second half, after the Crewe boss saw his side throw away their advantage to lose yet again on the road.

Artell was a dejected figure at the end, left hugely disappointed with his side’s performance after half-time.

Who’d be a manager…or a fourth official?