Colchester United extended their unbeaten league run to five matches after a goal-less home draw with Morecambe this afternoon.

But it was a largely frustrating encounter for the U's, who struggled to find a way past a stubborn Shrimps side.

Defences were certainly on top at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, as Colchester had to settle for a point following a lacklustre encounter.

Substitute Drey Wright came closest to winning it for the U's with a fine effort that rattled the woodwork late on but the spoils were shared.

Colchester head coach John McGreal made two changes to his side for their game against Morecambe.

Sammie Szmodics, who scored the U’s winner at Barnet last weekend, was recalled for his first start for nearly two months while Tom Lapslie also came into the team.

Doug Loft and Drey Wright both dropped to the bench as a result, with the likes of Sean Murray, Kurtis Guthrie and Brennan Dickenson still sidelined.

Colchester started well and Mikael Mandron’s downward header from Brandon Comley’s corner was well saved by Morecambe keeper Barry Roche, early on.

Brandon Hanlan’s close-range shot deflected wide for a corner after a good Colchester build-up, while a Ryan Inniss volley after Mandron’s header had been cleared sailed straight into Roche’s arms, as the U’s pressed for an opener.

But Morecambe came into the contest after that and were close to taking the lead midway through the first half when Steven Old nodded inches wide at the far post after Alex Kenyon’s free header from Aaron Wildig’s corner had picked him out.

The hard-working Mandron saw a 25-yard effort flashed just wide of the far post but Colchester received a let off, just before half-time.

Colchester keeper Sam Walker denied Wildig with his legs at his near post after Frankie Kent’s sloppy back pass had allowed the forward in on goal.

Inniss went close with a looping header for Colchester in the early stages of the second half but chances were few and far between in the second half, for both sides.

The U's failed to create anything meaningful, prompting McGreal to send on Craig Slater and then attackers Kyel Reid and Drey Wright, in a bid to break the deadlock.

Wright's spectacular 25-yard strike crashed against the crossbar for Colchester with three minutes remaining and Morecambe defender Aaron McGowen appeared to handle the rebound in the area.

But the U's penalty appeals were rejected and the points were shared.