THOUSANDS of pounds of damage has been caused after a lorry overturned and smashed into cars outside a showroom.

Emergency services were called to the scene outside D Salmon Cars, in Colchester Road, Weeley, at about 7.45am.

It is understood that a white Honda car and a lorry collided before smashing into cars on the forecourt of the Subaru dealership.

The crash caused damage to numerous second-hand vehicles, including a Peugeot, a Fiat, Vauxhall and Jaguar cars.

Harwich and Manningtree Standard:

Mark Fincham, branch manager, said six cars from the garage have probably been written off following the crash.

“It was complete carnage as far as the cars are concerned,” he said.

“They were used cars for sale and fortunately did not belong to any customers.

“Everything is insured and the police handled everything excellently.

“Other than the distress this caused for the drivers, it shouldn’t affect us very much other than the damage to the cars.

“The drivers are relatively OK and the driver of the Honda came in to see us after being released from hospital.”

The drivers of the car and lorry involved in the collision suffered minor injuries, including neck pain, and were take to hospital for treatment.

Harwich and Manningtree Standard:

The crash also left shattered glass and debris scattered across the forecourt.

The road was closed following the crash, leading to long delays for motorists, but the road reopened by 11.35am.

Neighbour John Hughes, 81, said: “I heard the bang while I was getting ready for breakfast.

“The ambulance station is just up the road so they were there immediately - it wasn’t long after that the fire brigade was here.

“The lorry just veered off the road and overturned.

“This is the main road and the traffic can be quite bad but we’ve never seen anything like this accident.”

The East of England Ambulance Service said crews were called to the scene at 7.47am.

A spokesman said: Two ambulances and an ambulance officer attended the scene to treat two patients, one with neck pain, to Colchester General Hospital for further treatment.”

Essex Police said officers were also called to the incident and that enquiries are ongoing.