FIREFIGHTERS rushed to a chimney fire in Dovercourt.

A crew was called to the fire at a home in Fronks Road, at 9.18am today.

When firefighters arrived they reported the blaze was inside the flue in the chimney and the home had a wood burner.

They managed to extinguish the fire by 10.15am.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to take some extra precautions if they use an open fire or burner.

A spokesman said: "The top reasons for chimney fires is either the flues haven't been swept regularly enough and also the wrong type of wood or fuel is being burnt. "Chimney fires can cause a lot of damage to the house so we want encourage everyone to follow our fire safety advice."

The fire service has issued advise for residents: 

  • Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood. (Always use a competent chimney sweep who is able to provide you with a certificate upon completion of their work.)
  • Only use suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion.
  • Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves.
  • Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed.
  • Use a fire or spark guard.
  • Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
  • Inspect your chimney regularly - particularly in the roof space - to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service fit smoke alarms free of charge.

Call the fire service on 0300 303 0088 or book online on essex-fire.gov.uk/book.