a decontamination unit and secure storage of contaminated materials removed from the roof space to be constructed outside the cinema.”

This will unfortunately require Kings Quay Street to be closed in the area immediately outside the building.

He added: “We very much regret the inconvenience this will cause to local residents but unfortunately this is essential to the safe conduct of this work.”

A date has not yet been set for the completion of the asbestos removal.

The whole refurbishment is expected to be completed in April or May 2020.

Back in 1911, the cinema took just 18 weeks to build at a cost of £1,500 - which is the equivalent of £175,222 today. The first films shown were The Battle of Trafalgar and The Death of Nelson.

The creator of the palace was Charles Thurston, a travelling showman well known in East Anglia, and the architect was Harold Hooper.

The Electric Palace closed in 1956 after 45 years and fell into disrepair. It was listed as a building of sociological interest in September 1972.

The Grade II listed building re-opened in 1981 and ran as a community cinema showing films every weekend and special live and music events until restoration started last May.

Colin added: “Once the restoration work is complete, we expect it to be at least another 50 years before work in any way comparable to this will need to be done at the cinema.”

When the work is completed next year, a full programme of special shows will be put on to celebrate the reopening of the palace.