A FAMILY have been left homeless after an electrical fault in a fridge caused a fire.

Fire crews were called to Tyler Street in Parkeston at 8.16pm on Saturday after neighbours heard smoke alarms going off.

On arrival, they reported the flat was 100 per cent smoke-logged and worked to ensure no one was trapped inside the property.

Firefighters extinguished the fire by 8.58pm.

The fire had been caused by an electrical fault within the fridge.

The kitchen was destroyed and the family that live at the flat have been left homeless due to the smoke damage.

Crew Manager Norman Gooch, from Dovercourt Fire Station, said: “Crews worked quickly to ensure nobody was inside this flat as usually a family that live here are home at this time of the evening but thankfully they were not home.

“Due to the hard work and professionalism of the firefighters, the fire was prevented from spreading throughout the flat and water damage to the flat below was kept to a minimum.

“Sadly, the family have been rendered homeless due to the smoke damage and have lost all of their possessions.

Harwich and Manningtree Standard:

Damage caused by the fire                                       Photo: Essex Fire and Rescue

“This incident really highlights why it is so important to have working smoke alarms and why you should act on it if you hear smoke alarms going off.

"Whether it’s at your home or you hear your neighbours' alarms going off or you are passing by, smoke alarms alert us to the first signs of fire.

“If you hear smoke alarms going off, dial 999 and ask for the fire service."

The brigade recommends people have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of their home and test them at least once a month.

If you don’t have working smoke alarms at home, please get in touch with Essex County Fire and Rescue at essex-fire.gov.uk/book or call 0300 303 0088.