A cat had to be revived by firefighters after being rescued from a flat fire which was started by a cigarette. 

Fire crews from Dovercourt, Clacton and Weeley were called to Tyler Street in Parkeston yesterday morning. 

When they arrived they found the fire was in the bedroom and the rest of the flat was smoke logged. 

Crews used oxygen to successfully revive a cat, who was unconscious due to smoke inhalation.

The fire was caused by a cigarette which caused bedding to catch alight. 

Read more:

Watch Manager, Gary Clarke, said: “Thankfully, in this incident, the smoke alarm sounded and woke the resident, who colled 999.

“Smoke alarms are often the first sign of a fire at home. Without a working smoke alarm, we expect this would have been a very different outcome.”

Essex Fire and Rescue has issued advice for smokers

A spokesman said: "If you're a smoker or you have a smoker living in your house, make sure you follow our advice to stay safe at home:

  • Make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished.
  • Take extra care when you’re tired; if you're taking any kind of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning.
  • Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. 
  • Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish – and don’t let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray.
  • Use child safe matches and cigarette lighters and keep them safely out of the reach of children
  • Fit and maintain a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999."