A community building has been almost completely destroyed after a fire in Parkeston.

Firecrews were called to the old bowls club, near to Parkeston Railway Club, in Hamilton Street, this morning.

Three crews from Dovercourt and Clacton arrived at the scene at around 10.34am.

A spokesman for the Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival firefighters reported that there was a well developed fire, which appeared to have started from outside and quickly spread to the building due to strong winds.

"Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire by 11.30am.

"The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental or deliberate both possibilities." 

Around 75 per cent of the building has been destroyed by the fire. 

The former bowls club building is understood to be used by Parkeson Dining Club.