NC East 1

HARWICH won this top-of-the-table clash that promised much and certainly lived up to expectations.

They are now two points clear at the summit with a perfect record of three wins from three games.

The Owls kicked off and immediately found themselves under pressure, pinned inside their own 22-metre line.

However, some organised defence and solid tackling repelled all of Woodbridge's early attacks.

The Owls maintained their composure and took the lead after Naomi Dobner robbed the ball from Woodbridge and quickly fed the ball to the backs.

A great pass by Becki Hare released winger Lillie Barnett, who outpaced the covering defenders to score under the posts.

Annalise Allan converted for a 7-0 scoreline.

The Owls were now playing great front-foot rugby and had phase after phase inside the Woodbridge 22.

A strong run by Tasha Bray and a good offload released fly-half Annalise Allan, who forced the ball over the line to score - despite the attempts of two tacklers to keep her out.

With the conversion missed, Harwich had a 12-0 advantage.

Woodbridge struck back shortly afterwards when Carmel Leak broke from just inside her own half.

A great tackle by Laura Westlake prevented her from scoring but the ball was picked up by Anna Dewberry, who touched down for the try.

Robyn Gordon converted for a 12-7 half-time score.

Harwich extended their lead from the second-half restart when Sam Wilmott collected the kick and headed off on a jaunt into the Woodbridge half.

Good support from Bear Heywood put Harwich in a great attacking platform, exploiting the whole width of the pitch.

The Owls pushed the ball up and, from five metres out on the left touchline, a series of quick passes put Sam Wilmott clear to beat the last defender and complete the move she started for the try of the game.

Allan converted for a 19-7 lead.

The Owls scored again when, from a lineout, centre Rosie Kay sprinted clear from the halfway line.

She was tackled but the support play was excellent, which allowed scrum-half Abi Cutts to release Becki Hare, who, in turn, put winger Laura Westlake in the clear to score.

The conversion was missed but Harwich had a 24-7 lead.

The final quarter of the match saw the home side camped in the Harwich half.

Multiple penalties saw the defensive line being pushed back and eventually it cracked, allowing Carmel Lake to score for the Amazons.

The conversion was made for a 24-14 scoreline.

The final few minutes saw the Owls soak up everything Woodbridge could throw at them and eventually run out 24-14 winners.

Next up is a visit to Low Road for Lakenham and Hewett on Sunday, November 12.