Eastern Counties League division two south

HARWICH suffered defeat at top-of-the-table Templars.

However, while the score shows a comprehensive loss, they competed from the first minute until the last.

If they can take this effort into their last two league games, they won’t go far wrong.

Looking to see how they would shape up against strong opposition, Harwich were up for the challenge and started strongly, winning an early penalty that was slotted home by Ryan Boyne.

As the day progressed, Boyne showed he had packed his kicking boots for the trip with a strong display, while also tackling well at 15.

The first eight scores of the match were shared evenly, although Harwich were dealing in threes and Halstead sevens.

Halstead were down to 14 men for the first ten minutes of the second half, due to repeated infringement, and with Josh Edward entering the fray, optimism was running through the ranks.

However, Harwich were unable to take advantage and ended up evening the numbers when Mike Cowley was harshly adjudged to have made a deliberate knock on.

In addition, Edwards’ cameo lasted only 15 minutes before suffering an injury and having to leave the field of play.

The next 30 minutes saw Halstead take control and they executed four unanswered scores to leave the final score 49-12.

Based purely on effort from the entire 22, it was a harsh reflection.

However, the Templars are a really strong team all over the park.

Dave Warren was named man-of-the-match for a great effort in the front row.

Harwich and Dovercourt Rugby Club's under-16s took part in a ten-a-side tournament and played matches against Haverhill, Hadleigh, Felixstowe and Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth.

Their first game was against Haverhill.

With confidence high, they started with great intensity and made few mistakes.

They went a try-up after some brilliant play from their forwards to get a turnover, followed by a well-executed backs move.

Haverhill came back after a mistake in midfield and a well-executed two-on-one.

With the scores tied, Harwich tried their best to get back in front and they produced a fantastic score.

It started with a penalty and then a couple of strong runs from Jack Huggett.

Harwich were then awarded a penalty and decided to give it to Tyler Beezley, who proceeded to run havoc and score the winning try.

The final score was 14-7.

With no rest before their next game, they made a few changes before taking on Felixstowe.

Harwich had played the Suffolk side before and beaten them 72-12.

They were met with a well-drilled team and great opposition.

With bags of confidence, Harwich tried some different moves and, while some worked and some didn’t, they eventually won 14-12.

Harwich then faced Hadleigh, who were one of the best teams they had faced this season.

Hadleigh were well-drilled and played as a team, without any individuals.

Harwich struggled to get going, with the tournament conditions taking their toll.

Their fitness was tested and they created very few chances.

However, Hadleigh took all their chances to run out 32-12 victors. Harwich then faced Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth, who were the unbeaten tournament winners. They gave Harwich a real test and and secured a 70-7 success.