STAND-IN managers James Good and Matty Windred are happy to take the reins at Little Oakley.

The pair took charge for the first time as the Acorns defeated FC Clacton on penalties, after a thrilling 3-3 draw in their Tolleshunt D'Arcy quarter-final on Tuesday night.

It was a great start to their tenure, following Sean Tynan's decision to step down on Sunday morning.

And the duo say they are happy to continue for as long as possible, if they keep getting a positive reaction from the players.

"The most important thing the other night was getting a reaction," said Good.

"We changed the shape of the team to be a bit more attacking and the boys stuck at it.

"Their attitude was spot on.

"We're happy to continue for as long as the chairman and players want us to.

"We're both club men and we'll do whatever we need to do.

"Obviously it was enjoyable the other night and if we keep winning games, who knows?

"We've both played at a half-decent level.

"The players know us and we know them and as long as we keep getting a positive reaction, we'll happily continue.

"If someone else comes forward with the right pedigree then great.

"But until then, we're happy to carry on and hopefully we can keep winning games."

Windred was in complete agreement and hopes Tuesday's result gives his players confidence heading into Saturday's tricky match at Thurlow Nunn League division one south leaders Hashtag United.

"We weren't sure how the players would react because obviously their confidence was a little bit low," he said.

"But we're very happy to step in and help and we were delighted with the performance we got the other night.

"It was more than we expected, in the end, and it should give the boys a bit of confidence going to Hashtag United.

"We'll see what happens but it's a great opportunity for someone here.

"Everything is in place, in terms of the structure and facilities."

Oakley held their nerve to beat Clacton 4-2 on penalties after the tie finished 3-3.

Frankie Selwyn (two) and Matthew Geen were on target for the Acorns.

"Clacton are a good team and we said at half-time how quickly they moved the ball," said Windred.

"We had to dig in and got one back, but then had another setback when they made it 3-1.

"However, we showed a bit of confidence and belief and knocked the ball around nicely.

"Our forwards came more into the game and Greg Rodger was excellent in the last 15 to 20 minutes.

"The important thing was to get a reaction and build momentum, heading into a tough run of fixtures. Everyone was buzzing afterwards."