LITTLE Oakley manager Matt Carmichael hailed his attacking quartet as "devastating and unplayable" in the Acorns' 9-1 romp against Benfleet.

Luke Mayhew led the way with four goals and there were two apiece for Harry Mann and Greg Rodger.

Jordan Heath joined in the fun on a memorable day at the Memorial Ground.

Oakley are second in Thurlow Nunn League division one south, seven points behind leaders White Ensign but six ahead of the trio below - May and Baker, Halstead Town and Holland FC.

"It was a dominant performance against a Benfleet side that didn't give up and kept going," said a delighted Carmichael.

"But we were very professional and played some excellent football against a side that had just drawn with Holland.

"Our front four were unplayable at times and I was pleased with the way we kept going.

"Having scored four in the first half, a lesser side might have taken their foot off the gas.

"However, the boys were hungry for more and kept pushing and probing.

"It was very pleasing and we're blessed to have such talent and quality up front.

"Luke, Harry, Greg and Jordan were simply devastating."

Oakley have no game this weekend but return to action at Coggeshall United on Tuesday.

It is the first of four straight away games, including the upcoming First Division Knockout Cup semi-final at Harwich and Parkeston.

The Shrimpers are also without a game this weekend but would have been keen to get back in action, having lost 3-2 at Wormley Rovers on Saturday.

Boss Mike Wallace admitted it was a bad day at the office but refused to be too hard on his players.

"We were poor and made some silly mistakes," he said.

"After taking the lead and creating a few early chances, a bit of complacency set in. We went off the boil.

"Wormley hassled us and our game management should have been better.

"However, I can't be too hard on the boys.

"This was the first time since I've been in charge that we've been poor from one to 11.

"It's one bad performance in six or seven games.

"We're a work in progress and this was our worst since the turn of the year.

"It doesn't devalue what we've achieved and the progress we've made in the last few weeks.

"Now we have to put it to the back of our minds and go again.

"We've got to put right the wrongs of Saturday."

Harwich had been due to visit Coggeshall on Tuesday but the match was postponed.

Wallace's side are 11th in the table and their next fixture is at Fire United on March 7.