HARWICH and Dovercourt Rugby Club claimed a convincing 69-10 win over visitors Mistley at Low Road, in the final round of pre-season friendlies.

Both sides had bought healthy-sized squads to ensure everyone got a good run around, but also making sure there were no major injuries leading into the regular season.

The game started at a fast pace, with the Harwich pack making some good yards early on, although being met with some stiff Mistley defence in the midfield.

It took just over 23 minutes for the deadlock to be broken when Andrew Sterry finished off some incredible first phase play in the corner for the first try of the game, converted by Eldridge.

Mistley used this to stoke the fires and came firing straight back at Harwich with a well-worked try of their own a few minutes later, making the score 7-5.

The next ten minutes saw both sides putting each other under good amounts of pressure in both attack and defence, but it was the Harwich side that saw the next breakthrough with Eldridge scoring and converting his own try.

A few minutes later, after some tireless work in the forwards, especially Sewell and Leeks, David Castleman went over for another converted try making the score 21-5.

Andrew Sterry, was then able to round off the scoring in the first half with a superb run down the side line and using some excellent footwork and pace to score another try which Eldridge again converted making the score 28-5.

Harwich were able to make a raft of half-time changes due to the large squad available and the second half started in a similar vein to the end of the first.

Some strong forward carrying led to some space out wide or back line veteran and all round inspiration, Nemani Ledua going over for the home team, again converted.

Straight from the resultant kick off Harwich were back on the attack and within a couple of minutes Alex Morton used some lovely footwork to carve through the Mistley defence and score under the posts.

Unfortunately Sam Male couldn't convert the simplest of conversions.

Again a few moments later, further aggressive ball carrying from the entire team saw Adam Palmer pick the ball up and show off some of his dazzling footwork and speed to go over the line. Again, Male missed the conversion.

Mistley had been under large amounts of pressure and many teams would simply have given up.

But they came back with some strong attacking play through their forwards, with some crisp handling in the back line and they were able to go over for the next score of the game, showing Harwich that they were dangerous and not to be underestimated.

Spurred on by conceding a second try, the home side got straight back to work and when space opened up on the side of the ptich Ledua was able to show his skill again and scored another try.

Male converted to make the score 52-10.

The home side were not yet done and after making some further team changes, Sewell was back on the pitch to show he had plenty left in the tank.

After an average clearing kick from Male, Ledua used phenomenal pace to turn a poor kick into an attacking threat, only to make a sublime tackle.

Newly-invigorated back row convert Sean Mills Jnr turned the ball over and allow Sewell to make a final 50-metre break and score the try which Keeley converted for 59-10.

Mistley battled on but with so many fresh legs, Harwich scored two final tries through Palmer and Parker to seal victory.

Both sides showed some creative attacking rugby, in a great game to watch.

A massive thank you goes to Mistley's coaching team for supplying a starting referee to allow the game to begin when expected.

Harwich's second XV now play their opening league fixture at Felixstowe on Saturday with the first XV hosting Clacton at Low Road in their first league game, on September 25.