LITTLE Oakley ran out 4-3 winners over White Ensign in their latest Essex Senior League match at the Memorial Ground, writes LARRY DOBKIN.

Lewis Wood is still injured for the Acorns but Garrard returned to the starting line-up as did the returning Brad James.

Ensign started the brighter and it was not long before a good passing move saw a long range shot which went wide.

Oakley were finding it hard to keep the ball allowing Ensign possession.

But they took the lead through Rodger, who calmly slotted home after Ridgeway-Lumley's first-time shot was pushed away by the keeper.

Ensign went quickly on the attack, with a cross whipped in which run across the box and straight out of play.

However, referee Simmonds awarded a penalty and a large amount of confusion followed

The spot-kick was allowed to stand and was placed in the corner of the net to make it 1-1.

And Oakley fell behind when a long punt saw Ensign's forward take the ball down, shoot and beat the keeper.

The ball appeared to have been handled but play continued and the goal stood.

Ridgeway Lumley's effort was tipped over by Barnby and Oakley were now in the ascendency and looking dangerous.

Rodger won the ball on the edge of the Ensign box and managed to get a shot off, with the ball appearing to hit a defender’s hand and go off for a corner, with penalty appeals falling on deaf ears.

Rodger was sin binned during the incident and it was the last action of the half, as Oakley went in at the break trailing.

Oakley started the second half well, with Garrard's bullet-like free kick passing everyone before hitting a post and sailing out of play.

But the Acorns equalised when Harry Mann scored from the spot after Lumley was dragged down in the area.

However, from kick-off Ensign regained their lead when Woodward appeared to mis-control a ball but found a team-mate who shot past Joyce for 3-2.

Back came Oakley though and Rodger equalised with a fine header, after Mann's shot had been saved by the keeper.

And the home side scored what proved to be their winner when Mann scored from the spot following a foul in the area.

The penalty had to be re-taken, after the Ensign keeper had pushed away the original effort but had been ruled to have been off his line when the spot-kick had been taken.

Oakley's man of the match was Ekow Owusu-Boakye.