LITTLE Oakley played out a 1-1 at Athletic Newham in their latest Essex Senior League game, writes LARRY DOBKIN.

With seven points gained out the last three game, Matt Carmichael's side are looking in good shape.

Oakley were without Wood, Ridgeway-Lumley, Harman and Mayhew (on loan) and the hosts started well.

After a scrappy move down the centre, a ball was played out to the wing and crossed into the danger area.

The Oakley defence were slow to react and allowed the ball to fall at the feet of an incoming Newham forward, who tapped in.

After a slow start Oakley began to get some passing moves underway while pushing up field.

Greg Rodger's powerful 20-yard free-kick hit the wall before Rowe's run soon after produced a foul in almost the same position.

Rodgers again took the free-kick and skilfully bent the ball around the Newham wall and into the top corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance.

Newham responded well and a searching pass found the Newham winger running at Nobbs.

Joyce could only parry his cross into the path of an on-coming forward who calmly side-footed home, only for the effort to be disallowed for offside.

Both teams were now intent on attack.

Oakley constructed a flowing move which saw Rowe won the ball in midfield turned and chipped the ball to the hard-working Mann, whose speculative shot deflected off for a corner.

The ball was crossed into the box where the keeper comfortably caught the ball, as the sides went in level at the break.

The second half started with an Oakley attack where after a ten-pass move James picked out Rowe, who won a free-kick just outside the box.

Rodger took the free-kick which forced the Newham keeper into a fine save.

Oakley were getting on top, but Newham always looked dangerous on the counter-attack.

With the bulk of the play being in the centre of midfield, a clumsy foul on Owusu-Boakye gave Oakley a free-kick in an attacking area.

The ball was worked out to the wing where Nobbs took the ball on the run, cut into the box, and fired a low shot which went into the side netting.

Newham pressed for a winner in the final minutes and a flowing move down the wing saw the ball played across the six-yard box before running harmlessly out of play.

The Oakley back five stayed steadfast in the closing stages, showing that they are following Carmichael’s plan and managing the game.

Oakley man of the match was Jamie Dobkin.