HARWICH Rugby Club were beaten 19-10 at Bancroft in their latest match, writes ROBERT WOOD.

With such a long away game, Harwich travelled with a changed pack compared to recent weeks but still felt very confident with the ability of all of the players.

This was shown with a quick start to the game from the first kick off.

With some instant strong carrying from the Harwich forwards, they were able to push through the defensive line of the home team and work towards the posts.

High intensity led to Bancroft infringing illegally and giving away a number of penalties which allowed Harwich to work up field and from a solid lineout.

The ball was released to the backs and number ten Ben Moore glided through under the posts for the first score of the game.

Bancroft, not to be outdone on their own pitch came straight back at the Harwich side and started to build some phase play of their own.

With a penalty awarded, they kicked to the corner and were able to set up a rolling maul to breach the Harwich defenders and go over for their own score.

From the kick-off Harwich again went on the attack and forced the home side into giving away multiple penalties.

And with an opportunity in front of the posts, Harwich took the three points to make the score 10-5.

Harwich continued to attack and again putting the home side on the back foot managed to work up the pitch again forcing further penalties as well as making good yards through their wide attacking threats.

With another penalty in a kickable position Harwich opted to continue to try and add to the score card, but the kick was pushed wide.

The rest of the half continued to see both sides attack and pressure each others lines, but no further scores came to fruition.

The second half saw the home side starting to put together some strong set play work again.

It enabled them to work up the pitch and put the Harwich side under pressure, but strong tackling kept the Bancroft attack at bay.

Harwich started to put some strong phase play together and started to move down the field under the strong guidance and direction of man of the match Tommy Kite, who had an excellent afternoon, even after changing positions at half time.

It resulted in Bancroft giving away a multitude of penalties before finally the referee had had enough and brandished the home side with a yellow card, putting them down to 14 men.

Harwich opted to push to the corner and go for a score, but the Bancroft defence stood strong and turned the ball over to release the pressure.

Losing a man seemed to galvanize the home side and they went on the attack themselves and after some strong ball carrying from their captain, saw themselves in the Harwich 22 again.

With a strong driving maul they rolled toward the Harwich line once again.

With the ball being moved a step wider, the strong Bancroft forwards were able to crash over the line and the score was converted making the score 12-10.

The rest of the half was spent with both sides trying to use the conditions to their advantage and again both teams had chances to increase their scores, but were unable to do so.

With five minutes left, the Bancroft sin bin returned to the game and with Harwich trying to clear their lines, the ball ricocheted off of a Bancroft player.

The hosts were first to react to the situation to coast over the line for another score with the Harwich defenders expecting a whistle but none coming.

Harwich will look to get back to winning ways this weekend when they host Barking on the Low Road pitch, kick-off 2pm.