HARWICH and Parkeston finished their Thurlow Nunn League first division south season with a 1-0 home defeat to newly-crowned champions Ipswich Wanderers, writes TERRY FRANCIS.

The Shrimpers suffered a narrow defeat in front of a bumper crowd of 310, their best of the season.

Sean Tynan was appointed as manager when Harwich were struggling in the relegation zone.

But together with assistant Gary Kioussis and coach Daryl Eagle, he has assembled one of the best defences in the league as part of a spirited squad which has finished with 44 points in a creditable 13th place, well clear of the drop.

The first half was goal-less with strong defences on top and scoring chances at a premium.

An exciting contest had developed between Shrimpers attacking right-back Alfie Smith and speedy Wanderers winger Evan Bolt, with each trying to put their team in the ascendancy.

Wanderers were dangerous from corners but Harwich keeper Brad Cook, together with central defenders Nathan Kioussis and Jack Wood, were equal to the challenge.

Harwich's best chance came when they won a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area, which was diverted for a corner.

The ball ran loose Joe Knight who just failed to get his body shape right and his shot squirted wide.

Harwich had done well to match Wanderers but in the 82nd minute Ipswich hit a post and seconds later Kris Rose netted their winner from close range.

It followed on from Harwich's fine 2-1 win at Burnham Ramblers.

Injuries and unavailability meant that Harwich's squad was stretched to the limit at Burnham, who needed victory to take them into the play-off places.

However Harwich gave a performance to be proud of and earned a well-deserved victory.

Central defender Nathan Kioussis, one of the Shrimpers' outstanding players of the season, skippered the team and led by example.

The match was competitive from the kick-off with Harwich showing that they were up for the challenge.

Harwich took the lead just before half-time when Joe Knight's cross was converted by Declan Kama.

With ten minutes remaining, Knight headed Harwich's second goal.

Shrimpers' young goalkeeper Jack Lines had enjoyed a good game and with injuries sustained by substitute Jay Eggerichs and Mark Palmer, he was joined by under-18 colleagues Cameron Brunsden and Tony Clarke to help the Shrimpers attempt to see off Ramblers' efforts.

In the very last minute, Burnham reduced the arrears from the penalty spot but triumphant Harwich went home celebrating the three points gained.