LITTLE Oakley got back to winning ways with a 3-1 win over bottom side Clapton, writes LARRY DOBKIN.

The Acorns wasted little time going on the attack, in the Essex Senior League clash.

They almost took the lead when Harry Mann was inches away from tapping in, after Danny Garrad had driven in a low hard cross.

Oakley continued to attack and after Garrad's header was cleared, it fell to Dan Rowe whose snap shot went narrowly wide.

Clapton looked for a route back into the game and Jermaine Baptiste set off down the wing and showed good pace.

His attempted cross was deflected off for a corner but the visitors were now getting more possession and back into the game.

Clapton went ahead when Victor Ferrini broke free of his marker and glanced the ball into the net, following a whipped ball into the centre of the box.

The next eight minutes saw both teams trying to get a grip in midfield.

After earning a free-kick inside the Clapton half, Garrad bent a cross to the back post.

Wood rose above the Clapton defence to pick out Rowe, who fired past keeper Brandon Bullman to equalise.

The game had now started to get interesting, with both sides pushing for the next goal.

Garrad's free-kick sailed over while at the other end, Tyler Houston Taylor's shot had Oakley goalkeeper Billy Lawlor scrambling but fortunately for Oakley, the ball went just over the bar.

Youssef Moumen fired wide for Clapton while the final action of the half should have seen Oakley in front.

Garrad appeared to have a tap in when the hard working Jordi Papple crossed into the centre of the six-yard box.

But the shot went up and struck the underside of the bar and came back out into play, before being cleared upfield.

Harwich and Manningtree Standard:

Oakley have a habit of starting the second half quickly and five minutes after the break, a good interchange between Papple and Mann allowed Garrad to slot past the keeper.

Oakley were on top and Papple headed home to make it 3-1, after Mann had got to the byline and put in a perfect hanging cross to the back post.

Oakley then managed the game and ensured they were not going to concede at the cost of becoming a little passive.

Clacton had three further chances before the end when Engurm broke down the wing and cut in before getting a shot off, but Lawlor had it covered and pushed the ball off for a corner.

Taylor rode two challenges but shot straight at Lawlor while the final chance of the game went to Walters, whose shot from distance went past the post.

Oakley's player of the game was Jordi Papple who is now settling into the Oakley team.