HARWICH and Parkeston marked the 70th anniversary of their FA Amateur Cup Final appearance with a 2-0 win over Parson Drove, writes TERRY FRANCIS.

The Shrimpers were victorious in their Thurlow Nunn League first division north clash, at the Gwinnell & Sons Royal Oak.

This match marked a special occasion for Harwich and Parkeston, as they celebrated the anniversary of their team's appearance at Wembley Stadium in front of a record attendance of 100,000 spectators.

An Easter Monday crowd of 270 braved the rain, with Freddie Lane, the last surviving player of that epic cup run, the guest of honour.

For the present day Shrimpers, there were three important points at stake as they chase third spot and a home tie play-off place.

Parson Drove had done Harwich a favour by drawing with Framlingham but were now intent on also denting the hosts' hopes.

Harwich started the game well with Joe Knight closing in on goal, only to be foiled by a last-ditch tackle.

And the Shrimpers striker featured again when from his cross, Harry Tuck had an effort cleared off the line by a defender.

Harwich skipper Gareth Heath also had a couple of shots which skimmed the crossbar.

Parson Drove were well organised in defence, with Dean Miller the kingpin and although Harwich were on top, the visitors were putting up a strong resistance Harwich's vital first-half breakthrough came when Heath and Luke Mayhew combined to allow Alfie Smith to cross the ball.

And although goalkeeper Dean Jimson managed to push Tuck's shot out, Reece Harte riffled in a cracking drive to give the Shrimpers the lead.

The second half continued with Harwich pressing for a second goal and Parson Drove getting players behind the ball in their efforts to stay in contention.

Midway through the half, Mayhew embarked on a good run, culminating in Jimson doing well to tip Knight's shot over the crossbar.

In the 70th minute, Heath pinpointed his expertly-taken free-kick for jubilant Knight to rise and head the ball into the corner of the net for the goal that ensured Harwich victory.

Harwich thought that they had scored again with Heath being sin-binned for his protest that his effort had crossed the line. Shrimpers goalkeeper Brad Cook had a quiet afternoon but in the closing minutes he produced a super save to turn Parson Drove's best effort over the bar.

The day's celebrations continued in a packed social club where an audience enjoyed a trip down memory lane with a film of Harwich in the 1950s.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Harwich travel to meet league title favourites Heacham and then next Tuesday entertain Holbeach United (kick-off 7.45pm).