HARWICH and Parkeston secured an exciting 2-1 win over high-flying Holland FC, in their latest Thurlow Nunn League first division north game, writes TERRY FRANCIS.

Holland, who are second in the table, were the first to threaten when their big striker Jamie Shaw, a former AFC Sudbury player, sent a 35-yard free-kick inches over the crossbar.

The game was end to end but Holland, prompted by their other Sudbury signing midfielder George Cocklin, were making the better scoring opportunities.

Harwich front man Jamie Eadie was keeping the home defence busy and when he won a free-kick, taken by Shaun Kioussis, central defender Mitchell Knight found space and with a well-placed header put the Shrimpers into a half-time lead.

There was more joy for Harwich 15 minutes into the second half when Harry Tuck had a shot blocked and followed up to net the Shrimpers’ second goal.

Harwich were working their socks off in matching a very good Holland team with Eadie backed up by the partnership of Jamie Beecham and skipper Luke Mayhew, who were linking up skilfully.

With a number of players missing, Harwich were grateful to have a large squad this season and after 60 minutes Kioussis, who had been so influential playing in front of the back four, was substituted.

The heavy rain had made the pitch slippery and with ten minutes remaining, Holland were pressing hard.

From a corner, Shrimpers goalkeeper Brad Cook made a rare mistake when in attempting to punch the ball away, he put it into his own net.

Harwich were determined to take all three points home and in the closing stages continued to fight like tigers to repel Holland’s attacks, to record a fine victory and move to seventh in the table.

Harwich have signed midfielder Max Gray.

Gray is a young talented midfielder whose previous clubs include Stanway Rovers and Little Oakley and is a good fit for the Shrimpers’ talented squad.

Tomorrow (Saturday), Harwich’s first team entertain Whittlesey Athletic at the Royal Oak, kick-off 3pm.

n Harwich and Parkeston’s under-23s took centre stage at the Gwinnell & Sons Royal Oak, with the club’s first team not in action.

The youngsters gave a promising performance to pull off a 5-1 victory against Bury Town under-23s.

The young Shrimpers got off to a great start in the first half, with Alex Pryke completing a well-taken hat-trick after only 22 minutes play.

Alex Stoneley then made the scoreline 4-0 in Harwich’s favour early in the second half with a superb effort when he out-witted a cluster of Bury defenders before beating the goalkeeper.

Bury were fielding a very young team marshalled by an experienced defender and in an entertaining match came back to reduce the arrears.

However the Shrimpers scored their fifth goal in the closing minutes with a well-worked move and clinical finish by Harvey Smith.

Harwich have assembled a strong management team for their under-23s which originated with manager Michael Clarke and was bolstered by the addition of experienced assistant Diddy Gray, then top coaches Matt Carmichael and Mark Sharp.

In addition, the youngsters now have the on-field guidance of the vastly-experienced Darren Bethell.