HARWICH and Parkeston moved into the Thurlow Nunn League first division north play-off places with a 1-0 win over Whittlesey Athletic, writes COLIN ROGERS.

The victory took the Shrimpers into fourth place in the league table.

Harwich took a tenth-minute lead when Gareth Heath's shot was deflected and Jamie Beecham netted from six yards.

The Shrimpers had started well and almost scored again when from Heath's corner, Jamie Eades saw his header cleared off the goal-line.

Harwich were making good scoring opportunities, with Luke Mayhew's shot saved by goalkeeper Danny Foulgar low down.

Whittlesey were having their fair share of the play but having more difficulty in penetrating the Harwich defence.

When they did manage a couple of shots, goalkeeper Brad Cook was equal to the task and half-time came with Harwich retaining their lead.

The Shrimpers continued to look the more threatening after the break.

Athletic goalkeeper Foulgar was in fine form, pushing Mayhew's shot out and from the resultant well-placed Heath corner, diving full length to turn Mitchell Knight's goalbound shot around the post.

Whittlesey saw the chance of snatching a point late on and in the added time which seemed an eternity, Whittlesey forced several dangerous corners that had the Harwich defence at full stretch.

Harwich broke away with Matt Geen creating the opening for fellow substitute Joe Knight who hammered a fierce shot into the net off the underside of the crossbar but the assistant referee raised his flag, making a marginal offside decision.

However it was not to matter as the Shrimpers defence, with Cook handing the ball safely, held out for the remaining minutes to the delight of their 190 supporters.

On Saturday, Harwich entertain FC Peterborough, who have recovered from a bad start to record some excellent results.

The match at the Gwinnell and Sons Royal Oak kicks off at 3pm.

Harwich travel to meet promotion favourites Stanway Pegasus next Tuesday, kick-off 7.45pm.

Harwich under-23s beat their Holland counterparts, on Tuesday night.

Alex Pryke and Euan Livingston were the scorers.