HARWICH and Parkeston were beaten 4-2 at Diss Town in their latest Thurlow Nunn League first division north game, writes TERRY FRANCIS.

The Shrimpers trailed 3-1 at half-time at Brewers Green Lane but gave a much-improved performance after the break and had they had the rub of the green, could have gained the point that they deserved.

Diss took the lead after only three minutes when Shrimpers keeper Brad Cook made a good diving save by pushing out a well-struck shot out but it fell to Town's unmarked wing-back James Wilson who made no mistake, with a clinical finish.

Harwich came back and Reece Harte sent over a great cross which, although there was no-one to apply the finishing touch, was within inches of going into the net.

It was nip and tuck and midway through the half Shrimpers striker Danny Garrad made a good run but from the chance created Jamie Eades was just offside.

With 25 minutes gone, from a cross, the Harwich defence was at sixes and sevens allowing Kyle Baker to put the the ball into an empty net for Diss second goal.

A couple of minutes later Harwich reduced the arrears when Alfie Canning crossed from the right flank and Garrad's powerful shot was too hot for goalkeeper Ben Self to hold.

Diss were back in control extending their lead to 3-1 when Cook was deceived by Charlie Webb's shot.

Harwich were unlucky when Garrad's header struck a post and bounced down on the goal-line.

However the Shrimpers defence had been shaky against Town's smart attackers Baker and Webb and Diss had taken their chances well for their two-goal half-time lead.

Harwich started the second half with Canning's header going inches outside the post but were back in contention when after good work by substitute Ben Sargeant and Canning they scored with a clever flick by Harte.

Harwich tails were up now. Another Canning header was well saved by Self and Diss were forced to defend.

The Shrimpers kept up the pressure with Gareth Heath's well placed corner headed over by Jack Wood whilst later Garrad's cross went begging. In added time Diss broke away to win a free kick and the issue was settled when Webb scored his second goal with a powerful header.

Despite the defeat there were pluses for Harwich with their spirited second-half showing and an impressive second outing from new attacker Ben Sargeant whilst results elsewhere favoured the Shrimpers so they remained in fifth place.

Harwich now have two more crucial home games.

Tomorrow (Saturday) they entertain Dussindale & Hellesdon at the Gwinell & Sons Royal Oak, kick-off 3pm and then on Tuesday, AFC Sudbury Reserves are the visitors, kick-off 7.45pm.