A LAST-GASP goal saw Little Oakley bow out of the BBC Essex Senior Cup at the quarter-final stage after losing 2-1 at Maldon and Tiptree, writes LARRY DOBKIN.

Harry Mann's speculative shot from outside the box went narrowly wide for the Acorns early on but Maldon then started to take charge of the tie.

Egbri's run and shot was deflected out for a corner and the Maldon striker was proving a major problem for Oakley’s defence.

Another direct run and cross found Louie Remi whose side-footed shot at the back post went marginally wide.

Oakley conceded four successive corners demonstrating heroic last-ditch defending, with the set pieces either fielded by goalkeeper Billy Lawlor or cleared.

Lawlor made a double save and the first half was a great show of attacking skills from Maldon met by an equally impressive amount of hard work and gritted defending from Oakley.

The second half started as the first finished with player of the match Lawlor making an early save.

But Maldon went ahead three minutes after the break when the impressive Egbri received the ball 30 yards out and sat Nobbs on the floor before shooting past Lawlor.

Oakley sent on Lumley, Hipkin, Tucker and Riley and it had the desired effect as suddenly started to get more possession and started to compete in midfield.

Lawlor's long ball down the centre was won by Mann who held off his defender and turned and shot in one movement while running towards goal but keeper Luke Collins made an excellent one-handed save.

But Oakley equalised when Dan Rowe cut in towards goal and hit a magnificent 30-yard shot that had dip, bend and power on it and gave Collins no chance.

Oakley were now in the ascendency and Luke Hipkin's driven shot was well saved by Collins.

With time running out, Hipkin's cross into the middle cleared the Maldon defence and was met by Mann on the volley but Collins made a fantastic reaction save to get the ball over the bar.

With six minutes of extra-time awarded and eight minutes already played, a Maldon corner led to a scramble and Oni netted, to win the tie.