COLCHESTER United battled back from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Scunthorpe United this afternoon.

Two goals in the space of four second-half minutes from Luke Norris and Luke Prosser salvaged a point for the U's at Glanford Park, after strikes from Abo Eisa and Kevin van Veen had earlier put the hosts in control.

The draw helped extend Colchester's unbeaten league run to six matches, ahead of their big Carabao Cup quarter-final tie at Manchester United next Wednesday.

Colchester head coach John McGreal named an unchanged side for their game at Scunthorpe.

There was a change on the bench though, with Callum Harriott among the substitutes in place of Ben Stevenson.

The U’s made a bright start and looked the more enterprising of the two sides, in the opening minutes.

But Scunthorpe wasted a glorious chance in the eighth minute when the unmarked Kevin van Veen somehow dragged wide from ten yards with only U’s goalkeeper Dean Gerken to beat, after Kgosi Ntlhe had beaten Ryan Jackson and picked him out.

Colchester responded through Kwame Poku’s strike that flew over the bar after he had controlled well on the edge of the area.

But the hosts were creating the better chances and almost went ahead again in the 14th minute when Gerken did well to divert Eisa’s low shot away at his near post after Yann Songo’o had done well to set up the chance.

And another excellent opportunity went begging in the 27th minute when Lee Novak found room in the area after James Perch had flicked on skipper Rory McArdle’s pass but was denied by Gerken at point-blank range.

Perch then headed over at the far post after van Veen had lifted a high ball into the U's area and soon after, Alex Gilliead cut inside from the left and curled a shot towards goal that whistled just past the far post as the hosts pressed.

Scunthorpe finally made the breakthrough they were looking for in the 42nd minute when former U’s loanee Eisa cut inside from the left and escaped Jackson’s attention before planting a fine low shot past Gerken and into the far bottom corner of the net.

It was no more than Scunthorpe deserved and they almost doubled their lead soon after when Perch's low shot from the edge of the area flew just wide.

U’s skipper Prosser blasted a shot over from a tight angle on the stroke of half-time but Colchester went in at the break with it all to do.

The U’s were forced into a change at the interval, with Callum Harriott replacing Courtney Senior who picked up a knock in the latter stages of the first half.

And things got even worse for Colchester less than two minutes after the restart when van Veen converted unchallenged from close range, after Gilliead did well to get down the U’s left and cross.

van Veen's long-range free-kick flashed just wide of the upright soon after but Colchester got themselves back into the contest, in the 57th minute.

After Cohen Bramall had delivered a ball into the Scunthorpe box, Harry Pell flicked on and leading scorer Norris chested down before prodding past goalkeeper Jake Eastwood and into the net from close range for his eighth goal of the season.

And the U's comeback was complete four minutes later.

Kwame Poku delivered a ball into the area and after Tom Eastman had controlled at the far post, skipper Prosser swept the ball home.

Spurred on by their revival, Colchester almost took a 68th minute lead through Norris, who got the better of Scunthorpe defender Harrison McGahey in the area but dragged a low shot just wide of the far post.

The Iron had a shout for a penalty rejected with 18 minutes remaining when Jordan Clarke tumbled under Harriott's challenge in the area, as both sides went for a winner.

Colchester looked the more likely of the two sides to score again as the clock ticked down but the spoils were shared.