LITTLE Oakley assistant boss Paul Sadler wants his players to be on their game from the start in tomorrow’s home match against Norwich CBS.

The Acorns conceded an early goal and ended up losing 3-0 in last week’s Thurlow Nunn League premier division contest at Downham Town.

Sadler is anxious to ensure there are no repeats - and says the players must have the right mentality from the beginning.

“Saturday was a disappointing performance,” he said.

“We lacked energy in the early stages and were punished after just three minutes.

“We improved as the half went on but didn’t ask any real questions of Downham.

“For the first 15 minutes of the second half, we looked like we might get ourselves back in the game but when they scored from a free-kick on the hour-mark heads dropped again and we looked a beaten side.

“Although we’re still missing players through injury, the players that do play need to learn that we need to have more energy and be more competitive throughout the 90 minutes and not just in short spells.

“We know that when we start games well, we generally get a result but it’s getting that mentality right from the kick-off which is proving difficult.

“We have a tough game tomorrow so the players must give it everything - otherwise we could be on the end of another heavy defeat.”

Elsewhere, Ronnie Heather grabbed a first-half winner as Oakley’s reserves pipped Hatfield Peverel 1-0 in the Essex and Suffolk Border League premier division.

In division one, Oakley A enjoyed a comprehensive 5-0 victory at Alresford Colne Rangers Reserves.

Josh Caudill and Gavin Mann combined down the right and their industrious efforts allowed Leroy Eades to open the scoring midway through the first half.

More chances came and went and the post was hit twice.

Reece Brundle had another assured match alongside Michael Palmer but even their skills couldn’t stop a thunderous effort from the Alresford striker flying towards the net.

However, keeper Sam Sims pulled off a top-draw fingertip save.

Chris Johnson set up the next goal for Luke Shepherd, who scored at the back post.

Alresford rallied in the second half and had a good shout for a penalty denied. To rub salt in the wound, Cameron Wallace went up the other end and scored a tap in from Shepherd’s cross. Chris Johnson scored Oakley’s fourth from a Michael Bunce pass.

Shepherd then scored again late on to complete the whitewash.

Bunce was man-of-the-match.