Essex League division 1A

HARWICH cruised to a big victory in their latest Essex League fixture.

Burnham never gave up and showed a lot of spirit in what proved an entertaining game, though.

Things did not start well for Harwich when they lost Kyran Green.

The influential second row was forced off in the opening five minutes due to a twisted ankle and knee ligament damage.

However, within a couple of minutes, the home side scored a fine try, moving the ball through the backs and giving winger Sam Jewell the opportunity to get over the line.

Stand-off Sean J Mills improved the try with the conversion.

This was the first of many for Harwich, who dominated the game both through their forwards and backs.

There was some great attacking rugby played but, importantly, the home team stayed focused, sticking to their structure.

This brought rich rewards, giving several players the chance to open or improve their scoring accounts.

The opening half-hour was dominated by the forwards as they drove the Burnham pack backwards at most of the scrums and stole most lineouts.

This gave opportunities for second-rower Josh Leeks, prop Harley Hema, scoring two with some fantastic runs, bouncing opposition forwards out of the way, and captain George Brunning to score tries.

The conversions were a little wayward at times by Sean J Mills, with a few missed.

Centre Elliott Hawken, returning to the first team after a lengthy absence, enjoyed a run over the line which was converted by Mills.

The half ended with young wing forward Gareth Sanders-Crook scoring a great solo try, which he converted himself.

This made the half-time score 47-0.

The second half was much the same as young Cameron Cowley, replacing Hawken in the centres, scored another well-worked try.

Sanders-Crook scored his second of the game, which winger Adam Palmer managed to convert. Centre Lewis Kerley scored the next try, thanks to some hard running.

The Burnham backs then engineered a good try of their own, getting over near to the posts and converting for the full seven points.

Winger Palmer scored two in quick succession to stop any signs of a Burnham comeback.

Sanders-Crook scored again, making it a hat-trick, before scrum-half Ryan Boyne was successful with the conversion.

Dynamic Sanders-Crook, still full of running, then made it four for the game, followed by winger Palmer scoring to get his hat-trick.

The war horse that is prop Paul Sewell showed he was able to add pace to his game, outstripping the defence to make it over the line.

The final try belonged to Boyne, who had a good game at scrum-half in the absence of Tommy Kite. Boyne also converted his try, making the final score 103-7.

Harwich take a break from the league tomorrow to play in the national Junior Vase, at home to Royston.